City by updating profile site month
In 2014, the city was ranked second among the top three livable cities in the Philippines in the Livable Cities Design Challenge organized by the National Competitiveness Council (NCC) and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.
Legazpi was named after Miguel López de Legazpi, the Basque Spanish conquistador who officially annexed the Philippine Islands to the Spanish Empire in 1565, and whose surname came from a town in Gipuzkoa, Spain.
The village of Sawangan became more populous and progressive and the first parish priest, Fray Francisco de Sta. A bigger and more imposing church replaced the chapel during the tenure of Fray Martin del Espiritu OFM in 1636 and Sawangan continued to thrive despite the Moro raids in the 1700s, a super typhoon in 1742, an earthquake in 1811, and other calamities.
According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 196,639. The city is composed of two districts: Legazpi Port and Old Albay district.
Clockwise from top right: JCI Legazpi Tourism Marker, View from The Oriental Legazpi, Cathedral of St.
Gregory the Great, Battle of Legazpi Monument, Legazpi City Hall, Zip-line at Ligñon Hill, Legazpi Airport Legazpi, officially the City of Legazpi (Bikol: Ciudad nin Legazpi; Filipino: Lungsod ng Legazpi) and often referred to as Legazpi City, is a component city and the capital of the province of Albay in the Philippines.
The area that is now Albay had a thriving civilization before the Spanish arrived.
In 1569, a Spanish expedition dispatched by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi led by Luis Enriquez de Guzman and Agustinian friar Alonso Jimenez first set foot in Albay.
They arrived on the coastal settlement called Ibalon in present-day Magallanes, Sorsogon after exploring the islands of Masbate, Ticao and Burias and proceeded inland as far as present-day Camalig, Albay.